Have you heard about this wonderful program called Toronto Renovates? Administered by the City of Toronto, the program offers combined federal & provincial funding for lower-income seniors and persons with disabilities who wish to make health and safety repairs to their homes.
Funds can be used towards essential repairs to bring a home up to acceptable standards in the areas of: heating, plumbing, electrical, structural, fire-safety and accessibility modifications.
- Funding is limited and available only on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The funds are issued as a grant, a loan or a combination of loan and grant.
- Grants of up to $5,000 are available for home modifications to accommodate a disability or to make a home more accessible
- Forgivable loans of up to $10,000 are available for essential home repairs and/or accessibility modifications.
- A grant and forgivable loan may be combined to a maximum of $10,000.
- Loans are reduced by 10% every year; after 10 years they are forgiven.
Applicants must be 65 or over and/or disabled. Equally important, eligibility is determined by income and home value.
- The value of the home must be no more than $637,673. This value is determined by provincial funding rules and is subject to change. It will be based on Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) information.
- Homeowners are eligible for both loan and grant funding.
- Tenants in private rental apartments are eligible for accessibility grants only – subject to property owner’s approval of the modifications.
- Homeowners must continue to own and live in the home and their taxes, home insurance, and mortgage payments must be up to date.
Household income must be below the following limits
Household Size Household Income Limit One person
$38,100 Two people $49,000 Three people $68,600 Four or more people $85,800
If you meet these criteria and wish to be assessed to determine if you qualify for Toronto Renovates, please complete the Assessment Request Form: here
- Depending on funding availability, a Toronto Renovates Program Officer will contact you to arrange an assessment in your home
- The Toronto Renovates Program Officer will determine your eligibility and help you submit a Toronto Renovates Application
- You cannot begin the work until you receive a funding Confirmation Letter from the City of Toronto
- You will not be reimbursed for any work done before you receive the letter.